Friday, April 27, 2012

ALLA Poster Session



Yesterday I attended my first Alabama Library Association Convention.  This was a great experience for both my co-worker and me.  We presented a poster titled “Taking the Distance Out of Distance Education.”  This was my first poster session, and was a great learning experience.  I had an opportunity to meet a lot of new people who work in different capacities in libraries all over the state, and some out of state.  Making connections in the library world is key at this point in my career, and helps open up contacts and career opportunities for when I complete my MLIS degree.      
We came up with the idea of what to do our poster on based on our current jobs as well as being distance education students.  I am the Circulation Supervisor at a Library, and my co-worker Lexie is in charge of Interlibrary Loan and Serials.  We are at a small academic branch campus for Troy University.  Our university offers many online degrees and has campuses across the country.  We not only work with distance education students each day, but we also are distance education students.  We thought it would be helpful to give a brief history of distance education to show people just how much distance education revolutionized.  We also included a section on helpful tools for students to use for both personal use and for collaborating with other class members on projects.  I have included a link to our poster, so I hope everyone enjoys checking it out!      


No comments:

Post a Comment